Saturday, August 17, 2013

Koa ~ Warrior

Well, as a new day is ending, it seems as though I still have not recovered from my jet lag. I feel tired all the time and don't really feel rested in the mornings. However, I did get a bit of extra sleep last night and slept in until about 8:00 this morning. Once up, we thought about hiking Diamond Head, but decided to save that for another day, and instead we chose to hike through the Manoa Valley up to Manoa Falls, about 10 minutes north of the uviversity. For those of you Jurrassic Park fans, some scenes from the movie were filmed here!

The hike is about two miles round trip and is veeerrrry slippery and steep, but the view at the top is completely worth it.






It is beautiful at the top. The uphill hike was smooth, though a bit tiring due to the steepness and the mud which proved to be a factor when we were hiking back down and I stepped in an area that was super muddy and completely wiped out getting mud all down my legs, shoes and hands. Nothing a little water couldn't handle though.

After, we went back to the hotel so that I could get cleaned up for my first day of band camp! Today was from 3:00-6:00 and was only for the freshman and other new members. Even with fours years of marching band under my belt, I did have some troubles today due to the fact that a lot of things are way different from HS marching band. Other than getting adjusted to the new changes and techniques, it was fun. I met a few new people, and everyone seems really nice. It is quite a different experience though not knowing anyone and at the same time, being in the minority. Hopefully with time, it'll get better. Since in the University of Hawaii Marching Band, we are the marching rainbow warriors, when called to attention, our response is "Koa" which means "Warrior" in Hawaiian, hence the word of the day.
From a hawk to a warrior! 

No comments:

Post a Comment