Sunday, October 13, 2013

Hanauma ~ Curved

Heeeey! I had a really fun day today :)

My plans for the day were to go to Hanauma Bay which is this really cool area with fish and coral reefs where you can snorkel and scuba dive (and it is free for UH students, so hey! Why not?!)

So, I woke up around 10:00, and got ready, and then I met up with Marisa in the courtyard and we headed off to Walmart so we could buy some snorkel equipment.

Then we met up with her friend Brent and we headed off on the bus. We had to transfer busses at one point, and it happened to be raining, so there were puddles EVERYWHERE. There we were waiting on the sidewalk at the bus stop, and this car comes zooming by, and completely splashes us. We got soaked, it's a good thing we were going to the beach! 

But for real, I'd never seen that happen to anyone, let alone me, in real life, only in movies, so when this happened we just looked at each other with our mouths open thinking, "Did that really just happen??"

It must have looked like this....


....because that is exactly what it felt like.


So after that, we got on the bus, and the bus ride was about 30 minutes, but we finally got there :) Our friend Nathan, who marches flute with Marisa and I, met us there.

So we then went in and watched this safety video, and then headed down to the bay. Here are some pictures of it, unfortunately my pictures do not do it justice, because I didn't have my nice camera and it was overcast the entire time. The colors are amazing, in real life though, and it is absolutely beautiful <3







Here is a picture of what it looks like when the sun is out and shining (and when you enhance the colors on the image...)



The water actually is CRYSTAL CLEAR though, it's incredible.

So we got in and unfortunately, the snorkel gear that I bought, would not fit over my glasses, no matter what I tried. So I then tried with my glasses off, and it worked, but my vision is so bad, that I could barely see anything and water began leaking through, so I gave up at that point. I did see two very large fish chasing each other, and their size probably had to do with why I could see them...haha. But I was so frustrated, and nothing was working, so I just gave up, but I still stayed in the water, and talked to Brent because Marisa and Nathan went really far out.

The coral reef is suuuper sharp and I, unintentionally, cut up my legs in a few spots, but overall I had a good time :)

Oh, and I decided to put my LifeProof to the test, and I just went for it and dunked my phone under the water to take a picture. Here is the picture, I took it right on the shore, so you can't see much, because the reef starts pretty far out and a lot of sand was getting kicked around, sorry! But I was amazed at how good these cases really are :)



We left around 5:00, and as we were walking up the large hill we heard an announcement that said the the last City Bus would be leaving at 5:15, and as we got to the top, we saw the bus leaving in the distance and got kind of worried! But I checked my phone, and all was well. There was another one coming in like 10 minutes, so I don't know why that guy said that, but we got really worried!

But the bus came, and we hopped on. None of us had eaten today, so they decided that I should try this place called Zippy's, because I had yet to try it. We went there, and it is pretty much a Hawaiian Denny's. It was really good!! I decided not to venture out and try something new, and went for my default meal which is a grilled cheese and fries. I also got Raspberry Tea with it. It was really good, but next time, I think I'll try and branch out because they have tons of diversity within their menu.

We then wanted to stop at this gelato place that they had been to before, but they closed about 5 minutes before we got there, so that didn't happen.

And then after that, we just got on the bus and came back to campus!

It was a really fun day, and although a few things did not go as planned, it was nice to get out and do something rather than just sitting in my room all day. :)

I got back around 7:30, and then cleaned up and showered to get all of the salt water off. I then watched an episode of LOST, and now I'm about to head off to sleeeeep!

I hope everyone back home is doing well, I miss you!
Talk to you tomorrow! Gooooodniiiiggghtttt! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment